Native Americans have a strong affinity and connection to nature. One of the most evocative representations of their love and appreciation are carved fetish animals, popularized by the Zuni people. These are figures of specific animals that have a spiritual representation to the their daily lives and activities. They serve as little guardians. I love the symbolism behind this and made my own TiPi and the MooN version.
All of the Zuni beads are handcarfed and made with shells or semi precious stones.
- Mountain Lion: power of leadership, ability to lead without insisting others follow.
- Fish: purifier, character, ability to hide emotions.
- Horse: swiftness, strength, enlightenment, possesses healing powers.
- Buffalo: symbolizes the endurance to overcome, great emotional courage, provider to all.
- Rabbit: virtue, serenity, low curiosity, quiet talent, restrained passion. The special guardian of women in childbirth, also associated with safe birth and long life for children.